Ohio's Return to Play Law went into effect on April 26th, 2013. This law states that individuals are not allowed to serve as a coach or referee for a youth sports organization without successfully completing the proper online training program in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussions and head injuries provided by the Ohio Department of Health.
Removal From and Return To Play:
1. Starting April 26th, 2013, coaches, referees, or officials must remove an athlete exhibiting the signs and symptoms of a concussion during a practice or game.
2. The athlete cannot return to play on the same day that he or she is removed.
3. The athlete is not permitted to return to play until they have been assessed and receive written clearance by a physician (MD or DO) or by any other licensed health care provider approved by the youth sports organization.
Ohio's Return To Play Law Requirements for Youth Sports Organizations:
1. Requires a youth sports organization to provide to the parent or other guardian of an individual who wishes to practice for or compete in an athletic activity organized by the organization, a concussion and head injury information sheet created by the Department of Health (refer to the link on the bottom of this page).
2. Prohibits an individual from acting as a coach or referee for a youth sports organization without successfully completing a free online training program every three years in recognizing the symptoms of concussions posted to the Ohio Department of Health’s web site or holding a pupil-activity program permit from the State Board of Education.
3. The youth sports organization for which the individual intends to act as a coach or referee shall inform the individual of the training requirements.
4. Requires a coach, referee, or official of a youth sports organization to remove an athlete exhibiting signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with having sustained a concussion or head injury from practice or competition.
Please know that we are enthusiastically supportive of this initiative. All of our staff are required to complete the online training courses in order to work for Jump Start Sports. Below is additional information about Concussion Awareness: